Plant & Food Research
Plant & Food Research is a Crown Research Institute specialising in horticulture, arable and seafood research.
New Zealand’s newest Crown Research Institute
Plant & Food Research is a Crown Research Institute formed in December 2008. It provides research and development that adds value to fruit, vegetable, crop and food products. Plant & Food Research contributes to science in New Zealand and offshore.
Research in natural products
Plant & Food Research has a broad research programme and partnerships covering molecular biology, nutrigenomics, fruit, crops, high-value seafood products and innovative food solutions. A key goal of Plant & Food Research is to develop the plant and marine-based industry in New Zealand and offshore.
The science at Plant & Food Research focuses on:
- elite cultivar development for the fruit, vegetable and arable sectors
- environmentally and economically sustainable production systems for food crops
- production systems that target zero chemical usage, bioprotected food production and biodiversity
- application of primary-sector derived ingredients in foods with new functionalities, particularly in the human health domain.
Plant & Food Research science supports the production of novel and high quality produce for international markets.
Crop & Food merged with HortResearch in 2008 to become Plant & Food Research.
- Web Address:
- Crown Research Institute
Private Bag 92169
Auckland Mail Centre
Phone: +64 +64 9 925 7000
Fax: +64 9 925 7001
- Breeding and genomics, sustainable production systems, bioprotection, food innovation.
- 17 February 2009